In 1726 the dispute was settled through arbitration. The Colony was given back the western portion of the entire area, while Hartford and Windsor retained the eastern section. Hartford became sole owner of “East Harwinton” and Windsor sole owner of “West Harwinton”.
In 1732 the Towns settlement began with Daniel Messenger being the first to settle here. As more people migrated the two halves were put back together in anticipation of being declared a single township by a vote of the General Assembly.
In 1737 the approval was given and the first town meeting was held. The 32 square mile area once known as Hartford’s town and Windsor’s town would become Harwinton. Nowhere else in the world is there another place named Harwinton.