Notary Public Services

-A A +A

Notary Public Service

Notary Public service is available at the Town Clerk's Office as follows:

                    Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

                           Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

                           Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.


It is suggested the signer call in advance to ensure the Notary will be available.

In accordance with the Connecticut General Statutes the signer must provide the Notary with at least two (2) forms of identification containing the individual's signature, at least one of which also contains the photograph of the signer, or a physical description (i.e. driver's license or passport).  Please note:  a social security card or birth certificate cannot be used as a form of identification.  The signer will also be asked to sign the Notary's Journal as proof the document was notarized properly.

  There is no charge for this service.

  Notary Public Commissions

Notary Public Commissions are issued by the Secretary of the State's Office in Hartford. You can request a Notary Public Manual and an Application for Appointment as a Notary Public by telephone at (860) 509-6232 (Automated Attendant)  or  by mail by writing  to:

             Connecticut Secretary  of the State's Office Attention:  LEAD/Notary Public Area

          PO  Box  150470

          Hartford CT 06115-0470


Notaries must file their commission at the Town Clerk's Office in the town in which they reside.  They may also file their commission in the town where they do business.

  The fee for filing the commission is $10.00


The Town Clerk's Office does NOT provide the following services:

 Witness Services

If your document also requires a witness, you must bring your own witnesses with you.  We do not witness documents.

Notarization of Documents in a Foreign Language

   We cannot notarize documents written in a foreign language - we recommend that you contact the    Secretary of the State's Office, Notary Division, at 860-509-6137, and request the name of a notary who can read your documents.

Notarization of Wills, Livings Wills and Powers of Attorney

We do not notarize Wills, Living Wills or Powers of Attorney - we recommend you have these documents notarized by an attorney.

 Notarization of Land Documents

  We do not notarize land documents (i.e.: mortgages, loan modifications, etc.) that will be recorded in the Town of Harwinton Land Records.