The Tree Warden is appointed by the Board of Selectman every two years. The powers and duties of the Tree Warden are mandated in Chapter 451 Sec. 23-59 of the CT General Statutes. The Tree Warden has jurisdiction over the care and control of all trees within the limits of the town right-of-ways and municipal properties. These powers include, but are not limited to:
- hazardous tree removal
- tree removal for road improvement and drainage work
- utility line clearing
- driveway installations
- line of site improvement
The Tree Warden does NOT have jurisdiction over trees within the limits of state highways. These trees are the responsibility of the State DOT.
- Is there an expense to an abutting property owner for removal of a publicly owned, high risk tree?
- Once a tree has been removed, is it the tree warden’s responsibility to make sure the stump is also removed?
- Does the tree warden have the right to remove or require the removal of signage posted on town owned trees?
- When must a tree warden require a utility company to receive a permit for tree pruning and removal?
- Does the tree warden have the authority to specify conditions for tree work when granting permission for the work to any individual or contractor?