Town of Harwinton GIS Web Map

The Connecticut Building Officials Association has put together a guide to help homeowners/ contractors navigate the requirements for basement renovations.

Prior Permit Issues

The Closure of Certain Building Permits


The building official’s job is to receive permit applications, review construction documents, issue permits, inspect the premises, issues certificate of occupancy and comply with the duties under the State Building Code to protect the health, safety, and the welfare of the public.

Anyone who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, add on or change a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, to build, replace or enclose a porch, will need to bring a completed application to the building official at Town Hall in order to obtain the required permit.

Many projects that require a building permit may also require other permits such as a zoning permit from the Land Use Department or other possible permits from the Torrington Area Health District prior to a building permit being issued.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Jeffrey Neumann Building Official (860) 485-2784